Travelling Lethbridge Roads
The early years of the 20th century were ones of expansion, prosperity, and boundless optimism. The prevailing spirit of optimism was instrumental in the development of the street railway system, for people envisioned the population of Lethbridge to 25,000 by 1920.
Over $250,000.00 was invested in the new system of public transportation, and the first 11 miles (17 km) of track was opened by Mayor George Hatch. The official opening coincided with the Seventh International Dry Farming Congress in 1912 held at the Exhibition Grounds near Henderson Lake Park.
The initial system included five lines serving north Lethbridge, Henderson Lake Park, the southside residential district and a small downtown area. Lethbridge’s population was not large enough to support such an extensive public transportation network, since the city’s growth and economy sagged after the boom of 1907—1913 ended. The line serving downtown was discontinued soon after it was built, and one of the southside residential lines was abandoned in 1917.
From 1912 until 1947, streetcars were the sole means of public transportation within the city. After 35 years of service to Lethbridge, the last streetcars were retired on September 8, 1947. During that period Lethbridge streetcars carried an estimated 47.24 million people to and fro.
Road travel has come a long way over a century. Today LA Transit is a vital part of our community and shuttles and motorcoaches carry residents to Lethbridge and safely home again.
On Sat MAR 18, roadtrippers are invited to travel in comfort with the Galt bus tour to Calgary’s Seedy Saturday in partnership with Red Arrow. The bus tour includes transportation, admission, breakfast pastries, lunch and beverages as well as educational information during the trip to Calgary. Tickets are on sale now. Visit http://galtmuseum.com/events for complete details. To register please call 403.320-3954. Deadline for registration is March 11, 2017 at 5 pm.