The Halls of Learning
Public and separate schools have cemented their place in the history of Lethbridge. What has become of the old building[s]? Here are a few schools with new purposes.
Bailey School, first located on 16 Street North between 5 and 5A Avenues, was used for about a year. From 1909-1917 a variety of other groups rented the school. The Miner’s Library bought the property in 1917 and moved it to 13 Street North between 7 and 8 Avenues.
Courtland School on the corner of 6 Avenue and 4 Street South was used until the Central School on 9 Street South was constructed. The building was moved to the new grounds; George McKillop’s physical education classes used it so not disturb the other classes in session. The Lethbridge Golf and Country Club bought the old school in 1933, moving it to the river valley for use as its clubhouse until the 1980s.
George McKillop School on 22 Street North between 4 and 5 Avenues was opened in 1957 and used as a primary and elementary school until 1982. Following a re-designation, the building became the G. McKillop Curriculum and Teachers Resource Centre. In 2006 it was the elementary portion of the Immanuel Christian School.
St Basil’s School on 12 B Street North was in operation as a learning centre from 1914-2003 and is now the administration office for the Holy Spirit Roman Catholic Separate School Board.
Allan Watson School on 6 Avenue South was an elementary school from 1951-1985. It is now the home of the French public school L’École La Vérendrye and community centre La Cité des Prairies.
Hamilton Junior High School on 15 Street South is now Allan Watson High School, a trades oriented school, and also houses Lethbridge Public School Board offices.
Until the end of June the halls of the Galt Museum & Archives will sound with voices of local and area students on field trips. More information about current and upcoming programs, events and exhibits is at www.galtmuseum.com.