In July 2019, the Galt's Archives received an inquiry about the history of Holiday Trailers Ltd. by an individual who found one of their trailers in a field in British Columbia. They were looking for information on the company to help their efforts to restore this vintage trailer to operation.Read More
William Hasulak documented the City of Lethbridge from 1950 to 1990. Hasulak's photographs showcase what our city has to offer. Over the course of 40 years, he captured the changes that Lethbridge experienced. From the Centennial celebration in Brewery Gardens to the first snowfall at Henderson Lake, Hasulak’s photographs mapped out the city’s history.Read More
West Lethbridge was considered a “planners’ dream”—a chance to experiment with contoured streets and a new “neighbourhood village” concept incorporating residential, retail and recreational services.Read More
In the 1880s, Lethbridge went from coal mining camp to boomtown. The population shifted in 1885 from the river valley into a newly surveyed townsite on the prairies. The Southside boomed.Read More
By the early 1980s, 50 of the 100 doctors on staff at St. Michael’s were involved in obstetrics in some way.Read More
To meet the growing demand for nurses, the Sisters of St. Martha applied to the University of Alberta to open a new school of nursing, which was approved in November 1950.Read More
As the population of Lethbridge expanded, “St. Mike’s” evolved to meet the needs of the community. An east wing was added in 1951, providing 83 more beds to the facility; this brought the total to 181 beds and 18 bassinets.Read More
For the next ninety years, the Sisters were involved in all aspects of nursing at St. Michael’s from teaching to administration to patient care. They were respected for their discipline and compassion.Read More
The Greetergrammers performed for any special occasion that a client would request. They performed for birthdays, proposals and going away parties.Read More
By 1945, the streetcar system had reached a critical moment. The remaining carriages were falling apart and parts to repair them were scarce, especially during wartime.Read More
Lethbridge city council invested more than half a million dollars in the new streetcar system. Mayor George Hatch opened the first 17 km of tracks on August 17, 1912.Read More
For 35 years, the sound of the streetcar’s bell was both a familiar and important sound in Lethbridge, for it signified the streetcar.Read More
Working with parking meters was a difficult job in the summer and the old equipment became progressively more in need of replacement over time.Read More
Coffee-sipping browsers, local history scholars, specific-answer seekers, general-interest readers, music lovers, and science fiends will all find a much wider range of facilities and services than has been available.
—Lethbridge Herald, October 18, 1973
Existing library facilities are totally inadequate, and we are in desperate need to expand.
—Mayor J.A. Jardine
In this city we have hundreds of young people who have nowhere to go in the evenings after the work hour where they can improve their minds and develop a taste for the finer and higher things of life.
—Lethbridge Herald, June 8, 1909
As to what was shared with Kerry about her grandmother or the items, she said, “I just think that that handbag would be something that would have been a treasure because it was so intricate, and it would have cost a little bit more than what their socio-economic status was.”Read More